At some stage everyone wants to become their own "maker" of essential oil products, mostly rollers and it makes sense, but it’s not as easy as tipping your favourite oils into a carrier oil and wearing it, there are a few things you need to consider and follow.
While I can't cover them in all in one blog ie. unsafe oils, phototoxcity oils & their maximum usage, do & don'ts of pregnancy oils etc. one thing I can help you with is dilution rates.
That means the amount of essential oil you can use in combination with carrier oil. There are many different opinions on rates but one rate that I'm comfortable using and is safely within the guidelines is 3% for adults and 1.5% for children.
It may not sound like enough but stronger is not always better with essential oils, and overuse can lead to a bad reaction, sensitivity to oils over time and skin rashes. Some things to keep in mind when you are using this rate;⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- 3% dilution rate equates to 9 drops of oil in 10mls of carrier oil.
- This is 9 drops in total! So if you are using 3 different oils you need to combine all three into 9 drops. This is NOT 9 drops of each
- Use a quality carrier oil. We use Organic Camellia Seed oil but a good quality Jojoba, Sweet Almond or Coconut oil will work well too.
- Check that the oils you are using are not phototoxic, some common phototoxic oils are (but not limited to)
- Bergamot (cold pressed)
- Lime (cold pressed)
- Lemon (cold pressed)
- Grapefruit (cold pressed)
- Some phototoxic oils can be used on the skin but have a maximum diultion rate to stay within the "safe" zone, you can purchase Bergamot bergaptene-free oil or make sure you choose steam distilled not cold pressed oils.
- Have fun
- These dilution rates DO NOT apply to blending your own face oils. The face has a totally different dilution rate
- Always make sure you sterilize the bottle / roller that you are using and other dishes, instruments you are using in the process.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
There are a lot more "rules" that I follow when blending our Wellness Rollers and also being aware of the notes of each oil to make the perfect synergy is important but these tips above are a good place for you to start if you are interested in playing with oils. Please don't ever put put essential oils neat on your skin!
Otherwise, we always have a beautiful selection online or if you want something in particular we don’t have I can always customise a roller especially for you✨